Monday, September 21, 2009

Summer Choice Book- The Stranger


"...I often thought that if I had had to live in the trunk of a dead tree, with nothing to do but look up at the sky flowering overhead, little by little I would have gotten used to it." (77) The Stranger, by Albert Camus


In this quote, Monseiur Meursault relates his time in jail to a saying his mother used to tell him. He looks up to the sky instead of believing in God and passes his time by focusing on his physical needs such as hunger and sleep. This quote is representative of Meursault's character throughout the entire novel. His thoughts slowly deteriorate into those of a prisoner and he loses all care for anything else. By saying that he could "have gotten used to it," he shows that he resigned all desires of freedom and let things happen as they came.


I enjoy this quote becuase of its beautiful imagery. It is one of the only flowery quotes in the entire book. This picture reminded me of what Monsieur Meursault was describing.

1 comment:

Mrs. Maurno said...

Kelsey,

Fantastic quote! I think you really bring in the essence of the existentialist and Mersault's state of mind!