Wednesday, September 30, 2009


"GUIL: Yes, I'm very fond of boats myself. I like the way they're - contained. You don't have to worry about which way to go, or whether to go at all - the question doesn't arise, because you're on a boat, aren't you? Boats are safe areas in the game of tag... the players will hold their positions until the music starts.... I think I'll spend most of my life on boats" (100-101)

T-Pain is obviously also fond of boats. Really, I chose this quote because it embodies the essence of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ... their stupidity. Throughout the novel, their pointless, drifting conversations address everything from theories on coin-flipping to Hamlet's behavior; and everything else from boats to death. However, they manage to take seemingly deep, philosophical thoughts, and drain them of any cognitive substance. Every colloquial exchange between Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is utterly devoid of all substance and import. The best way to describe a vast majority of the exchanges in the play is sheer ignorant circumlocution. The pair runs around subjects over and again, managing, somehow, to escape any hint of rational thought. Tom Stoppard's play is a fun-filled, action-packed, profoundly inane, and thoughtfully thoughtless amalgam of dialogue. Reading Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead has given me a much deeper appreciation for plain logic.

1 comment:

john said...

I definitely forgot to title this so ... Rosencrantz & Guildenstern On A Boat.