Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the stranger


"Mostly, I could tell, I made him feel uncomfortable. He didn't understand me, and he was sort of holding it against me. I felt the urge to reassure him that I was like everybody else, just like everybody else. But really there wasn't much point, and I gave up the idea out of laziness" (Camus 66).

Throughout the story, we see that Meursault is completely apathetic about his position in life. He has given up on obtaining lofty, unrealistic dreams. It is not until the second part of the book that we are given a real glimpse into his character and his voice, which until then is mainly suppressed and does not provide us with his opinions or additional information. This was one of my favorite quotes because we finally see that he is not quite as oblivious to how others perceive him as we believed, yet it is admirable that he cares so little for what people think of him. Meursault views conformity as something that will not benefit him, perhaps because he realizes that he will never be "just like everybody else." The fact that he gives up this notion simply because he was too lazy to do so is something truly resonant which provides a lot of insight into his actions.

1 comment:

Mrs. Maurno said...

Super insight into Mersault's apathetic, supressed and apathetic nature. Your graphic is very unique and makes you think!